Thursday 7 February 2013

'Twas the Night Before Midterms


Acoustik Warrior

‘Twas the night before midterms, and all through the pod
Not a person was stirring, it was really quite odd.
Finally able to catch time to sleep
I crashed in my bed, I made not a peep.

My pod-mates all snuggled up, in their respective beds,
Finally sleeping and resting their heads;
My roommate sprawled out, and I curled in a ball,
Had just settled down, to sleep in late and all.

When suddenly in my room their arose such a clatter
That I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
The clock read, 8 a.m., it came by so fast
But with no morning classes, I decided to crash.

The comfort of blankets, the warmth of soft pillows
Lulled me back to sleep, steady as she goes 
When what to my slumbering mind should ring clear
But a scampering roommate with nothing to fear.

Brushing teeth, banging boxes, as he rolled out of bed
Lights on, water running—I pretended to be dead.
Curled up and seething, I started to cry,
Resisting the morning, “Why this noise, why?”

And just like he woke, he left in a flash.
I slunk back in my bed, groaning, “more sleep at last,”
When what from his crumple of sheets should ring out
But a loud Chinese ringtone, of who knows what about?

Blankets over my head, I tried to ignore it,
I went to his bed, I tried to restore it,
But since apparently nothing can stop an alarm that’s begun
I greeted the morning, as the chapel bells rung.

No comments:

Post a Comment